Thursday, March 12, 2015

Surviving a Technology Conference (or any conference)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who attends multiple conferences throughout the year.  Some of them are required and, if you're lucky, many of them are by choice. No matter what the conference is about there are certain items and tidbits to remember.

Today I got to attend the first day of the two day MACE Conference. This is a conference focused on technology, resources, great practices and the sharing of information for better implementation and creation. Not only have I gained a ton of ideas to use and share in my own school (which I'll include some of at the end) I also realized some of these unspoken conference rules for survival. 

Bring Fully Charged Devices
Wether you are at a conference for education, marketing, technology or  dog food on Mars, you are going to need fully charged devices. This means your laptop, iPad, chrome book, and even your phone, NEED to be charged when you arrive. Don't count on there being charging stations or easy access to an outlet. Tip: plug everything in before you go to bed. It'll charge while you sleep :)

( Yes, this is my lock screen. If I ever leave this around my school it always makes its way back to me and my kids enjoy it)

Be Prepared 
Im all about taking notes. Sometimes this is on my phone. Some times it's in the form of things to remembered scribbled in the margins of handouts. However you are planning to keep notes and remember what you encountered be sure you have it handy. I always come with pens.  If I'm taking my iPad, I always utilize Notability! I would highly recommend downloading this app from the store. 


Snacks
Many times there are snacks provided. They may, however, not be offered when your belly decides it is hungry and begins letting everyone know.  No one wants a loud growling tummy. Bring snacks or bring money to buy some. Everyone likes a happy belly. A happy tummy = a happy mind and more importantly, happy neighbors.


Headphones(be aware of your sound)
I guarantee there is going to be some sort of sound played on your device. Maybe you're good and it's a video or app the presenter wanted you to play with. Maybe you are "working" on other things (ie scrolling though Facebook when a video starts automatically playing). Either way be aware of your sound settings. Know how to quickly turn the volume down. A better way to avoid the horribly awkward struggle of trying to silence your device as the presenter talks and everyone begins looking around.....HEADPHONES! Throw a pair in your bag and you are set. Tip: make sure they are plugged all the way in :)


Entertainment
I'm not doubting your presenter or content. I am believing that you all operate, at least in some way, similarly to me. I can be following along with the presenter AND be creating a school to-do list, a home to-do list as well as scheduling events on my calendar. I have to be doing something. If you are like me, bring something with you. This may include drawing materials, crossword apps, or even taking a short mental break online. Everyone needs it. Have no shame in your game.....as long as it's not bothering other people. 

Alright, I promised I'd mention some of the cool things I've learned and am excited to use :
Plickers- using one device to interact with all students through the use of printed cards to answer questions 
ColAr app- coloring sheets that then incorporate augmented reality while using the app. 
Air Scanner app- turn your device into a mobile document camera 

Have fun at your future conferences and always be prepared. 


No comments:

Post a Comment