Friday, March 6, 2015

KTOY: Wamego

The time has finally come for the district visits to begin!


...

First let me back track to how this all came about. After being selected as the USD 383 Elementary Teacher of the year I was invited to the Region 1 banquet. There I found out I was a semi-finalist for that region. I then went to the state leadership conference. It was here that I was put on a team with some amazing educators from districts "near" mine. Being on this team allows me to visit their districts as well as show off mine. The following is that story ( I may have channeled Law & Order there ) :)

...

Back in February as I was getting ready for the LATF15 I was also preparing on going to my first district visit. My two team members, Michael and Cathy, were being gracious hosts and taking us around their district. The visit started off by touring their amazing schools. It's always eye-opening to visit another school building, let alone another district. I was able to see how their school district organized its grades. I also took particular note to their school wide programs and how they worked from building to building often working similarly to each other. I think this is such a great way to bring a school together as one, not to mention, show how an entire district is on the same page.

I am also big on signs and keeping kids informed. I may have snapped way more pictures of signs than I'll ever be able to use. Here are just a few :)












We were able to stop by the high school. While there we checked out a program that allowed "typical" students to buddy or mentor with students with special needs. It always makes my heart smile to hear students talking about why they want to do programs like that and how they keep coming back. Some of these programs even spark interest in students to pursue careers where they are working with persons who have special needs. While there we heard about another mentoring program that matches students up with veterans and helps get veterans out to D.C. to see the memorial. While listening to them we got to feast on an amazing lunch. (I'm not much of a rare-meat kind of person but let me tell you I devoured this meal). It was all made by the students there....Maybe I should look into cooking lessons. These kids definitely shamed me.



We finished our visit by touring the Paramour Coffee shop where we got a behind the scenes look at creating a signature roast. We then toured the Columbian Theater. I have always heard of it but to be inside and see the history up close left me in awe. We finished by visiting the Oz Museum. If you ever get a chance to go I would highly recommend it. I know that I will be going back.








Overall I think Michael and Cathy did an amazing job showcasing their district. We got to see some well organized buildings with school-wide programs that were effective and engaging. We got to view some of the highlights of the city of Wamego. More importantly, we got to bond as a group. They definitely set the tone.

Casey and I had some high expectations to match......our visit was next!


No comments:

Post a Comment