Monday, September 1, 2014

How to Survive Testing: The DIBELS Edition

Testing: the time of year when regular schedules are interrupted, routines are broken, and students brains are picked over. That time of year has started for our school. This means Dolch word tests, beginning of the year assessments and of course the DIBELS! In our school, first grade teachers get to test our own students. Here are a couple of tips for surviving.

Tip #1:  You must find a comfy little space since you'll be there for an extended period of time. This little book room was my home for two days. It's cozy and quiet but more importantly, it was right across from my room. This really cut down on the travel time when switching students. The chairs are student size so I always bring my chair in. My bottom needs to be in a comfortable chair.
comfy room
Our Little Book Room

Tip #2:  Find a timer you enjoy the sound of. Don't get me wrong, the little classic timers work well but I cannot stand that beep more than a few times. I love using my iPad. I can change the sound and I can control the volume. I also like that it counts down in a way that I can see the time running out in my peripheral while I'm looking at my students. I have it set to "boing". It doesn't seem to have distracted the kids and they know what the sound means now.

iPad Timer
iPad timer
iPad Sound for the Timer

Tip #3:  Treats! When you are testing all day, no matter what kind of assessment, you must have treats. Not only does this help ease your stress but it helps when colleagues stop by to ask questions, plan, or for a brain break of their own. I always keep treats handy and I make sure that my colleagues know they are always welcome in my room whether I am in it or not. Treats are never something you keep to yourself.

testing treats
Treats: drinks, donuts and candy

Here's to finishing assessments, comfy digs, and great results!

P.S
Teachers: What are your testing must-haves?
Parents: How do you help your students during their testing times?

No comments:

Post a Comment